Monday, June 28, 2010

My good fortune....cookie, didn't make the list.....

June 26, 2010

I finally feel semi human again.  Of course it is coming just in time for me to go for my next lab appointment on Tuesday which if my counts dip again will find me back in the hospital for another round of transfusions.  But I'm not gonna think about that right now.  Especially when Jon has decided to treat us to take-out from our favorite Chinese restaurant here in Slidell called Yee Chinese.

I have to limit my time out and about in public places for the next few months since my body is susceptible to just about any and every germ or bacteria that could be floating around or lurking on surfaces.  So with that being said my ability to go out and grab a bite to eat with family or friends is a big "no, no" for the time being.  When Jon offered to bring home Chinese for dinner both Olivia and I did a little happy dance.


My appetite has been fair lately.  It has it's moments where no matter what I eat I throw it up.  But then there are other times when I eat 3 meals a day and couple snacks in between and feel fine.  It's a nutrition roller coaster that I'm riding on these days.  I am supposed to be keeping to what's called a Neutropenic Diet, which cuts out any fresh fruits, fresh or raw vegetables, aged cheese, raw nuts, unpasteurized milk or yogurt, yogurt containing live cultures and the list goes on and on.  I swear it just never stops.  Isn't having cancer enough of a punishment to my body?  Do you really gotta go and take away my cheese and yogurt?!?

I'm fairly certain that the chinese food I've just consumed didn't land on any of the "DON'T EAT THAT BECAUSE IT COULD MAKE YOU SICKER AND RESULT IN YOUR UNTIMELY DEATH" category.  But if it does, please note that I will have gone out with a belly full of happiness.


Our meal was drama free.  No choking, vomiting or any other bodily function.  Before I could pronounce the meal complete I had to fish out my fortune cookie and see what wisdom it held inside its yummy shell.  I cracked it open, pulled out the sliver of paper and read,

"nature, time and patience are the three best physicians" 

Hmmm...pretty curious.  Now my real question would be are the best physicians 4 through 10 responsible for good pain and sleep medication?  Because I may need help with that when these scripts run out and I have to deal with my doctor who believes in one being alert at all times to deal with the cancer.

Shit lady.

It's in my body.  I know it's there, you know it's there and until it leaves I would like to be comfortable.  It's not like taking these medications is going to make me forget that I have cancer, it will however make it a lot more pleasant for those around me because me + pain + inadequate pain control = very unhappy family.  Am I making any sense now??

I guess I need to go back and spend a little more one on one time with the patience physician.  I'm gonna need another egg-roll for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment