Monday, June 28, 2010

I'd rather have a freaky Friday than a weaky one....

June 25, 2010

I got discharged from the hospital yesterday.  I ended up having to be in for an extra day because I was in excruciating pain that I was in with my unruly spleen.  The transfusions went great and I really didn't suffer any adverse reactions to them which was great.  I felt bad for the nurses that were caring for me because I was being kept in isolation while they brought my counts up so anyone entering my room had to put on a surgical gown and mask. 

The mask drives me crazy when I have to wear them.  You get overheated because your breathing in the same hot breath that you just released.  Unfortunately I will have to get used to it because if I intend to go out in public at all for the remainder of my treatment it is imperative that I use these masks.

So I was pretty happy to get my walking papers and be able to ditch the mask in exchange for my comfy bed and use of my laptop.  The only problem seems to be that I am so very, very fatigued.  I got home from the hospital yesterday and immediately laid down to take a nap and ended up sleeping until 9p.  I made my way to the kitchen for a bottle of water and then shuffled back to the bedroom and took my Ambien so that I could go back to sleep.  With little effort I was able to fall back to sleep within 10 minutes of taking my medication. 

Waking up this morning I felt like I was moving in slow motion.
  The mere thought of having to get up and make myself something to eat seemed like an insurmountable task.  After several tries to get out of bed without passing out and making it to the door of my bedroom and practically collapsing, I had to call Olivia to come and make me something to eat. 

She did so and brought it to me in bed.  I could barely sit up and it took me what seemed like forever to finish the sandwich that she had made.  As soon as I was done with the last bite I rolled over and fell asleep.  When I woke a few hours later I felt weaker then when I had awoken this morning.

I immediately called my doctor.  I'm unsure as to whether this is a normal side effect of having the blood and platelet transfusions.  I tried hard to rack my brain and see if I could remember feeling this way following any of my other transfusions but it was hard because all the others had been done while I was in the hospital for longer periods of time.  This was just a stay for the transfusions and I was sent home the next day following their completion.

When I finally got a call back from my doctor she basically told me that if I was that concerned, even though I was not running a fever, had not thrown up blood, had blood in my urine or stool and wasn't having difficulty breathing then I should go to the emergency room.  If that wasn't the case then she would just see me at my next appointment on the 30th. 

I hung up feeling more confused and slightly pissed.  I really don't understand my doctor.  But I'm too tired to go on about it right now.  For now I just want to lay here unmoving and hope that tomorrow I feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment